The Glass Studio Assistantship Program
The Chrysler Museum Glass Studio is now accepting applications for 2015 Studio Assistantships. The application deadline for the Fall term is July 10.
The Studio Assistantship is an educational opportunity designed for emerging artists who are either currently enrolled in or have recently completed an undergraduate degree program in glass, or who are pursuing a professional career working with glass. Significant glassblowing experience is a requirement of the program. The Assistantship program provides practical, professional studio experience in a Museum setting. Studio Assistants will help the Studio Team with public glass demonstrations, classes, and general operations of the Studio for up to 10 hours a week for the duration of the term.
The Assistantship is a volunteer, position and offers many benefits. These include: Studio time; the opportunity to build skills, perform, and teach; half scholarships to staff taught classes; the chance to work with world-recognized masters in our Visiting Artist Series; and commission-free participation in the Studio’s quarterly sales.
The Chrysler Museum Glass Studio offers three competitive assistantship sessions per year.
- Two are semester-long (five months in both Spring & Fall) sessions designed for recent college graduates and aspiring glass professionals and emerging artists.
- One is a two-month summer internship session for students currently enrolled in college.
- Spring: Jan. 15-June 15, 2015
- Summer: June 15-Aug. 15, 2015
- Fall: Aug. 15, 2015-Jan. 15, 2016
Each Assistant completes the following professional development under the mentorship of the Programming Director:
- Assist in teaching public and private classes
- Undergo resume review
- Create business cards
- Create personal artist website
- Apply for two artist opportunities
- Research the Chrysler Museum collection, design a project in response, and lead a public demonstration related to this project.
- Mount a solo exhibition featuring this project in Vestibule 102, an intimate, front-window gallery space in the Glass Studio (for semester-long Assistants only. Time constraints preclude summer-term Assistants from undertaking this project.)
During each session, the Chrysler Museum Glass Studio accepts one Traveling Assistant. The Museum provides a free apartment for this Assistant during the duration of their Assistantship. The Traveler typically comes from afar to participate in this certificate program. The Traveler has additional responsibility and is expected to have slightly more glass experience. The Museum is not able to sponsor or facilitate visas. Please note in your letter of interest if you are applying specifically for this position. The position is appointed five months prior to the start of the term.
All applicants should submit the following electronically:
- A letter of interest outlining studio experience and personal goals for the program
- Current resume
- Up to five images of their work, or a link to their online portfolio
- List of three references with contact information
Please do not exceed 10 MB in combined email attachment size or send data in multiple emails.
Email all materials to Charlotte Potter, Programming Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Email subject line should read Studio Assistantship Application)
Previously accepted Assistants may reapply and work up to three sessions. After the year term is complete, they officially graduate from the program and cannot continue to volunteer at the Chrysler Museum Glass Studio.