FAQs: Chrysler Museum of Art
If you need anything during your visit to the Chrysler, look for the people wearing pale blue. Our Gallery Hosts are nationally recognized for their level of service, and they can answer most any question. Here are some of the ones they hear most often.
How old is this building?
This building opened in the 1930’s as the Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences.
Why is this called this Chrysler Museum?
Walter P. Chrysler Jr., the son of the founder of The Chrysler Corp., was one of the great art collectors in American history. He married Jean Outland, a Norfolk native, and his collection came to Norfolk in 1971.
What are the hours of the Museum and the Glass Studio after reopening?
Tuesday–Saturday: 10 a.m.–5 p.m
Sunday: Noon–5 p.m.
Monday and Select Holidays: CLOSED
Free glassmaking demonstrations at noon, every Tuesday through Sunday.
Is there an admission fee?
No, admission to the Chrysler’s general collection is always free.
What are the hours of Wisteria, the Museum’s restaurant?
The restaurant is open the same hours as the Museum.
What kind of art is in the building?
The Chrysler Museum of Art is home to a collection of nearly 30,000 objects spanning 5,000 years of history. Highlights include an impressive and comprehensive survey of European and American painting and sculpture, a world-renowned glass collection, a rich photography program, and art from African, Asian, Egyptian, Pre-Columbian and Islamic cultures.
Does the Museum have wheelchairs/strollers?
Yes, both are available free of charge. They are located under the stairs near the main entrance restrooms.
What’s new at the Chrysler?
- Improved accessibility with a ramp at the main entrance
- 10,000 additional square feet (bringing the total to approximately 220,000)
- Completely reinstalled galleries
- Improved HVAC
- New restaurant and catering facilities
What are the benefits of membership?
- Supporting the Museum’s operations, programs, and exhibitions
- Free admission to Third Thursdays and other event
- Discounts on Glass Studio classes and workshops
- A 10% discount in the Museum Shop and Wisteria
- Invitations to members' only events
- Inside scoop via email and the Chrysler magazine